Bar/Bar Mitzvah Guide:
FIVE - Spiritual Preparation
Becoming a Bar/Bat Mitzvah means becoming a "mensch," an emerging adult who demonstrates concern for family and community. Our children are entering into an adult Jewish community which has, since the time of Moses, seen itself as imbued with a special mission and a unique destiny. Our personal expectations of our children's futures are deeply interconnected with our understanding of what being Jewish and living a life of mitzvah means to us. This is a natural time for parents to reflect on these essential life issues. Our clergy welcome opportunities to talk with you about your own Jewish journey. To set convenient times for conversation, please contact them directly.
To Sum Up
The components of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation at Temple Israel are as follows:
- Group and private lessons with the Cantor and assistants in preparation for the ceremonies of theBar/Bat Mitzvah day
- Attendance at Shabbat and Yom Tov services
- The Bar/Bat Mitzvah Workshops and Programs
- Consistent home study to achieve skills and confidence
- Ongoing study in the Religious School/Day School
- Mitzvah Project (please consult with the Clergy or Education Director for ideas and direction).