Hessed: Caring Community
At Hessed we:
- Comfort members when they have lost a family member (Bereavement)
- Make contact before the funeral
- Bring comforting items to the family, with or without a visit
- Knit comfort wraps for those with long-term or serious illness
- Visit members when they are ill (Bikkur Cholim)
- Make telephone contact
- Schedule/make personal visit when appropriate
- Bring TLC bag
- Bring gifts to members with New Babies
- Deliver honey to all members who experienced a bereavement in the last year (Honey for the Holidays)
- Establish longer term relationships with the homebound or chronically ill
- Provide rides to services for those in need (Shabbat Chauffeurs)
- Special projects for individual needs.
If you are a Temple Israel member and you need help, or you know of someone else in need, please contact the Temple office (781-784-3986) to inform Rabbi Fish or Rabbi Silverman about the situation.
For more information or to volunteer, please email Hessed@tisharon.org.
We provide 2-3 open training sessions each year and personalized training as needed.
A simple act of Hessed reverberates for the good.
Caring is a community-wide effort and we actively seek congregants to help us reach our goals. For more information or to join our volunteer team, please contact one of the people identified below.
Co-Chairs of Hessed:
Bikur Cholim (Visiting the Sick) Team Leader:
Bereavement Team Leader:
- Mindy Goldstein
Scheduling of Volunteers:
- Shelley Keimach
- Raphaella Frielich
Shabbat Chauffeurs (rides to shul):
From our Hessed Resource Library:
Jewish Family and Children Service of Greater Boston
JF&CS cares for individuals and families by providing exceptional human service and health care programs, guided by Jewish traditions of social responsibility, compassion, and respect for all members of the community.