Assistant / Associate Rabbi
Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement
Assistant/Associate Rabbi to be our Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement, Temple Israel of Sharon, MA. A full-time position for a dynamic, creative, and collaborative Rabbi.
Temple Israel’s community values life-long learning and prayer as core components of our congregation. The Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement (RDOCE), will partner with the Senior Rabbi, other staff, and lay leadership to achieve this goal. The successful candidate will be directly responsible for envisioning, implementing, supervising, and offering creative prayer and Jewish education programs for children, adults, parents, and families. In addition, the RDOCE will have direct oversight for vision and implementation of Shabbat and holiday services for our youth community. The RDOCE will also take a lead role in re-envisioning and implementing Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation. The RDOCE will also participate in all aspects of rabbinic and congregational life within the framework established by and with the Senior Rabbi (i.e. counseling, life-cycle events, etc.).The RDOCE will report directly to the Senior Rabbi.
The Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement is a newly created position for our congregation. The successful candidate will have the ability to help shape the position as other responsibilities within a new staffing model are implemented over the coming years. The job description will certainly evolve as the specific talents of the RDOCE are identified and employed to meet the needs and desires of our community.
Candidates must be eligible to belong to the Rabbinical Assembly and may define their observance of Shabbat to include driving to synagogue.
Depending on relevant experiences of the successful candidate, the position will be titled Assistant or Associate Rabbi: Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement.
It is expected that the Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement, in collaboration with the Senior Rabbi, will take primary responsibility for:
- Visioning, creation, and coordination of Shabbat, holiday, and High Holy Day children, family, and youth services
- Visioning, creation, and implementation of Adolescent Learning Experiences (Grades 6-12) beginning with b’nai mitzvah experience, including both classroom and experiential learning
- Supervision of Youth Director
- Support experiential youth groups (Grades 2-12)
- Creation and implementation of leadership development opportunities for all youth
- Development and maintenance of relationships with families and children
- Visioning, creation, and implementation of new initiatives to outreach and engage prospective new member families as well as current member families on the periphery of our community
In collaboration with the Senior Rabbi, additional involvement will include:
- Programmatic review and innovation in all aspects of the ritual life of the congregation
- Pastoral care and counseling
- Officiating at life-cycle events
- Family Education program development and implementation
- Collaborative approach to working with staff and lay leadership in a synagogue environment
- Publicity and Outreach
- Collaboration with other senior staff, lay leaders, and administrative staff to develop marketing and publicity for programs and initiatives to increase reach
Grants and Fund Development
- Participation and collaboration with the congregation in identifying revenue sources
- Research of grants available to create, expand, and innovate in-depth and breadth of congregational initiatives
- Act as a resource person to the Board and all committees
- Be available to attend select meetings of the Board and other committees and arms of the congregation (e.g. Brotherhood, Sisterhood, Hazak, etc.)
- Responsibility for budget and oversight of expenditures
The Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement is a full member of the professional staff along with the Senior Rabbi and other senior staff in every aspect of synagogue life.
Temple Israel encourages all staff to undertake appropriate professional development and will be provided with sufficient time and funds for personal study.
Rabbinic Director of Congregational Engagement will report directly to the Senior Rabbi.
Competitive salary and benefits.
Temple Israel provides equal opportunity to all people regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, body configuration, age, disability, marital status, height, weight, or political belief. This policy applies to all employees and applicants for employment.
[Posted November, 2015.]